- This event has passed.
Seattle VR – Jackbox Night
Come join the Seattle VR community with an evening of fun and humor as we play Jackbox games on the Seattle VR Discord server.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since this might be a new type of event for some of you, we’ve put together an FAQ
What is Jackbox?
Jackbox is a collection of party games that you can play with your phone either sitting together on the couch and sharing a large screen monitor, or like us, remotely. It includes quizzes, drawing, trivia, guessing, and social deduction games. Games are generally short, funny, and quick to learn.
You don’t need to buy anything to play – you just need to join a game hosted by someone else from the browser on your phone.
For more information, check out this handy “how to play” article from their website: https://www.jackboxgames.com/how-to-play/
What is Discord?
Discord is a multi-channel text and voice conferencing tool a bit like Slack but with better support for communities. It supports streaming, gaming, and casual voice chat, as well as the chat channels and file sharing that Slack does.
Seattle VR has a Discord server that you can join. With the ongoing lockdown, we’re working out how we can best use it to support community events.
How will this work?
A game of Jackbox supports up to 8 players along with audience members who get to vote on which player is being the funniest. We’ll be running several games simultaneously, each hosted by a Seattle VR organizer.
Each game will be streamed in its own dedicated voice channel. We’ll also have a text channel set up to help people find an open slot and to provide any technical support that becomes necessary.
Once you have logged into Discord (see below if you need help), follow these steps:
- Join the event support channel #events-jackbox and say hi. If you have any trouble with the games, you can ask here for help.
- Look for a game that has less than eight players and join it. Game channels will be called #jackbox-game-1. If the game has already started, you might need to wait until the next round begins.
- If you can’t find a slot in a game, let us know in the support channel so that we can help you find a slot. If necessary, we may start new games to support a larger group.
The organizer in each game will be able to help you with details, but basically, you play by going to http://jackbox.tv and entering a four letter code that the game will give you. From there, it will prompt you whenever you need to do something..
What do I need to play?
You will need:
- A computer with a microphone
- Headphones – without headphones your computer may produce feedback which will make it difficult for everyone else to talk.
- Discord, ideally installed on your computer (not just the web interface).
- A phone or computer with an internet connection so you can connect to Jackbox
How do I get onto Discord?
Follow these steps:
- Download the discord app and install it: https://discordapp.com/download
- It will prompt you to create an account.
- Once you’re connected use this link to connect: https://discord.gg/2nrrsDZ
- If you have any trouble once you’re in, type “@event organizer Help!” into any channel (without the quotes). This will notify the organizing team and one of us will be able to help you out. Note that if we’re not online we won’t see this until next time we are
Discord works best for Jackbox when you run it on a computer or tablet. If you really want to, you can connect from your browser, but you will likely have difficulties.
Not all events on the Seattle VR Calendar are organized by Seattle VR. Different rules may apply. Kudos to the awesome people making cool stuff happen!
Have an event you want others to know about? Reach out to Eva at email@example.com to get your event on our calendar!